Good morning!! I’ve got two cups of coffee in me, all but 1 kid is at school, I’ve done 2 loads of laundry already, and some work. I’m feeling pretty productive today. (It helps to ignore the fact that I have yet to shower or brush my teeth or hair. I have no idea how parents who work outside of the home and have to actually get ready in the morning do it. YOU are my heroes!)
By the end of most days (ok, everyday), I’m ready for the kids to go to bed, and some grown-up time. I don’t watch grown up tv during the day. There just isn’t time, and even if there were, most of the time anything that’s on tv that isn’t meant for kids isn’t really appropriate for the little ones. It’s really no secret that I like my tv. But my favorites are really shows that don’t have a cartoon character in them or a songs that will undoubtedly be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. I’m not lying when I say watching Daniel Tiger enough will give you the uncanny ability to break out in an appropriate life lesson song at any time throughout the day. It’s getting embarrassing (even if my 2 year old thinks it’s cool). *hangs head in shame*
10+ shows on amazon prime &
netflix for adults
*for your convenience, there may be affiliate links throughout this post, so you can easily find the things i am showing you. by using these links, your pricing stays the same, but i earn a small commission. you can see my full disclosure here
Since, I tend to work at night when the kids are in bed, I’m not always able to read a book as much as I might like and so being able to stream shows has been my go-to for unwinding (even if I’m working while I do it!) Thank goodness for my Amazon Prime (by the way, if you don’t have Amazon Prime you can sign up for a free trial and watch as many series as you can in 30 days for free!!), netflix, and my roku. If you don’t have one get one! or a fire stick, or a smart tv! Seriously, if it were up to me, I would ditch regular tv all together, and just stream shows. The amount of money we would save would be huge! Unfortunately, my husband is not on board.
Before I continue, I want to note the feature image, these are not shows I would watch with my children around (not even the 12 year old in most cases). They are definitely not G-rated, and some aren’t even PG. You’ve been warned!
1. Shameless– I had to put it first! Both Brent and I are both shamelessly (pun intended!) addicted to this dark-ish dramedy. It’s about a dysfunctional family with 6 kids, an absentee mother, and a basically absentee, alcoholic father living in Chicago. I really can’t explain it but I am totally attached to most of the characters, and the ones I’m not attached to, I loathe like they’re a real person. I have recommended this show to a few people now, and they have all become just as addicted. Unfortunately, it’s a little (ok a lot) racy and we cannot turn this show on until the kids are fast asleep, and there is no chance of the kids walking in!
2. Quantico– this is a thriller about an FBI agent that is suspected of being a terrorist (she’s not one) and goes back and forth between her training at Quantico and current times. It’s only just beginning its second season on ABC in a week so there aren’t many to watch before you’re all caught up!
3. One Mississippi- An Amazon Prime Original. Sad circumstances surround the main character when she needs a double mastectomy, and then her mother suddenly passes away. It’s sort of a dry humor. You will fall in love with the characters.
4. Bones– This is an American crime drama, based around a forensic anthropologist. It’s funny, and scary, and mysterious. The characters are quirky, and that’s a huge part of what makes it for me. I actually spent weeks after binging it, sad that I wasn’t going to see the characters anymore. Yeah, I’m weird. At least I own it.
5. Sons of Anarchy– a crime drama tv show about the lives of a close-knit outlaw motorcycle club. I will admit to a little bit of ADD with television shows, and it is rare that I actually finish an entire series before I get bored of it. It’s really nothing against the show, just the way I am. This is one of the shows I never finished so I can’t say how the whole series played out, or even if it was completely worth it. I can say that I loved watching the first 5 seasons were awesome, and I will go back to it at some point!
6. Parks and Recreation– It’s hilarious, and Amy Poehler is in it. Watch it!
7. Friday Night Lights– This was the first show I EVER binge watched, and I would watch it again in a heartbeat. When the show was actually on the air, Brent tried so hard to get me to watch it, and I shut him down because I had no interest in watching a show that was about a high school football team. He insisted I would love it– it’s the only time in our marriage he’s been right. I was devastated when it was over and I wouldn’t be spending anymore time with the characters. I obviously become just as attached to television show characters as I do book characters.
8. Catastrophe– An Amazon Original. A hilarious comedy about a couple who ends up pregnant after a one night stand. A honest, and real portrayal of the chaos of having kids. I laugh out loud in every episode!
9. Grey’s Anatomy– watched this show when it started, had a kid, stopped being able to watch regularly scheduled programming with any sort of consistency, and quit watching it. Picked it back up since it’s on netflix, started from the beginning again and watched every single one. It’s a medical drama about doctors in Seattle. The main characters start out as interns and you watch the progression of their careers, and their lives- love stories, families, medical drama, weird, random tragedies, all the makings of a good show, right??
10. The Blacklist– Another crime drama and I can’t even really explain it but I’m totally sucked in. It’s very mysterious, and keeps me on the edge of my seat most episodes.
11. Red Oaks– Another Amazon Original. Set on and around a country club the Red Oaks takes place in the summer of 1987. Tons of relationship twists, and turns, and other surprises. It’s a funny show, and once again the characters are awesome. Plus, Jennifer Gray is in it, so this 80s baby loved it for that reason alone!
12. Orange is the New Black– I’d be shocked if you hadn’t heard of this show because most people have. But just in case, this show is about a woman in her 30s who spends time in a minimum security women’s prison. I have to admit, I started watching this, quit for a while because I got annoyed with it, came back to it because I was looking for something to watch, and fell in love with it. There are often flashbacks that allow you to get to know the characters better, and how they ended up in prison. Unfortunately, it’s a little (ok a lot) racy and we cannot turn this show on until the kids are fast asleep, and there is no chance of the kids walking in!
13. Bloodline– a thriller drama series on Netflix. It takes place in the Florida Keys which may be part of the reason I loved it (kidding- kind of). It’s a little difficult to explain what it’s about without giving it away, but basically, it’s about a family who owns a hotel in the Keys. They have 4 grown children, one of which is the black sheep of the family. Like I said, I don’t want to give away too much, but we were definitely hooked. We aren’t quite caught up yet though.
There you have it, the next time you’re looking for something to watch, try one of these!! Don’t blame me though if you’re not going to bed until 2 in the morning because you have to watch just one more!
Do you have a show you love on Netflix or Amazon Prime that I didn’t mention? Leave me a comment!
You may also like