Some of the sweetest moments of our days happen at night when things calm down, which is exactly why you NEED these tips for taking pictures at night, are definitely a must read! The kids are calmer, and time spent together is super snugly.
It has always been my favorite time of day, but it has not always been my favorite time of day to take pictures. In my early photography days, I used the pop-up flash, and harsh shadows, and red eyes were abundant. Yuck! That doesn’t have to be the case though. You can take some pretty awesome pictures at night!
***Wanna know what I am using to take pictures of my family? You can see everything I keep in my camera bag here!***
*for your convenience, there may be affiliate links throughout this post, so you can easily find the things i am showing you. by using these links, your pricing stays the same, but i earn a small commission. you can see my full disclosure here
5 tips for taking pictures at
- Learn how to use your camera in manual mode. Telling your camera exactly what you want it to do, will change your night pictures dramatically.
- Turn off the pop up flash, and use ambient light instead. Now, when I say to use ambient lighting, I am NOT referring to overhead lights. I am talking about side table lamps, candles, flashlights, car lights, etc. I would not rely on ceiling lights or the flash on your camera. These both generally yield very unflattering light.
- Raise your ISO. True, you may add some noise to your pictures, but isn’t that less distracting than unwanted blur?
- For sleeping children or a subject that is not moving, lower your shutter speed, and use a tripod or some other solid surface to steady your camera to reduce camera shake.
- Convert your images to black and white. This is obviously personal preference but I am a sucker for black and white images at night (can you tell??!). The grain bothers me less, and I feel like they allow the light to really tell the story.
I hope this helps you gain some confidence when taking pictures of your kids at night. It really is the sweetest time of day. Don’t you think??